Completion of the Florida Shore-Based Shark Fishing Course is required for all anglers who are targeting sharks from shore.
The Shark-Smart Fishing Educational Course found at MyFWC.com/Shark Course and get the Shore-Based Shark Fishing Permit.
This includes anyone age 16 and older, including those 65 and older who are normally exempt from needing a fishing license.
The Florida Shark Fishing Course and the Permit are both free, and usually take between 15-30 minutes to complete. You must take the Shark-Smart Fishing Educational Course annually.
A few key notes from the course include:
- Get your plan ready and know what type of gear to use.
- You must use 80 pound line or heavier.
- Your hook must be non stainless steel, non offset circle hook.
- No chumming is permitted
- You must possess and use a device (bolt cutters or wire cutters) to quickly cut the line in case the hook can not be removed from the sharks mouth.
- If you are using metal leader longer than 4 feet in length, you must take the course.
Keep in mind, anyone under the age of 16 does not have to take the course, but must be accompanied by an adult who has taken the course.
Please stay away from crowded beaches, and fish at night. If you are planning on using a spinning reel, have less than 4 feet of wire leader, and casting the rod from shore, you do not need to take the course.
Any other information regarding the Florida Shark Fishing Course can be found here: https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sharks/
Shark Fishing Charters
Additional information about our Shark Fishing Charters – https://navarrebeachsharkfishing.com/shark-fishing-charters/